When I travel I have a few go to items that MUST be in my carry on. For my current trip, I am only going to Central America. My flight is a 3 hour direct flight, so it shouldn’t be that bad. My list for a short flight is a little different than my list for flights with connections or long haul. For the sake of this post, we’ll focus on a short flight.
Let’s get to the most important items first. I can’t travel for work without my lap top, phone and chargers. My phone has music, audio books, and all kinds of helpful apps that I love to access while in transit. Of course, once those items go into the bag, we move on to my next critical item. Snacks! I usually have a couple of Kind bars in my bag in case we get delayed – these days you never know how much time you are going to spend on the tarmac. On my last overseas flights, I spent more time on the tarmac (combined between legs) than it took me to get all the way to Madrid! Snacks are important, your girl gets hangry. Next thing you know, I’m going to be on youtube as I am pulled off the plan yelling “I just needed some peanuts!” like I’m a crazy woman.
Technology and snacks aside (I take Kind Bars or Cliff Bars), I also pack a little something to keep me occupied. I will have a crochet project in my bag this trip. I will post photos on Instagram if I finish it before I come back. I have a friend that wants two pink cat eared hats, so I am going to do my best to get both of those done before I get back.
Of course I will also have my presentation materials – some electronics and a few hand outs for my seminar. The other items I don’t want to live without on a plane are:
- Chapstick or tinted Burt’s Bees lip balm – I like the tinted in fig or plum, but there are a ton of colors and also natural, uncolored as well.
- L’Occitaine Roese et Reines or Peony hand lotion – this stuff is the absolute BEST moisturizer, and it smells like a summer flower garden. If you have never tried this lotion, give it a try. The texture is pure bliss – creamy and melts into your skin without leaving an oily residue. At 2.4 ounces or less, it goes through security like a dream.
- Tissues, insect repellent wipes – I like these (wipes rather than bottles that leak in your bag!) from Off! brand– and of course, antibacterial wipes and gel – it is flu season after all!
- I always like to have a camera in my bag, though I find that I take an awful lot of photos with my phone now. The camera on the new Galaxy S8 is amazing (my favorite point and shoot is linked here and my favorite mid grade is here – I have a Cannon DSLR like this one that I LOVE, but it is an investment).
- Memory Card (Most cameras need an SD Card or Micro SD – I have a 64 gig Micro with adapter to fit my camera and then pop into my laptop)
- When I go to the Caribbean, I take a lovely little silk hand fan. Even in January and February, the temps and humidity can be brutal to those of us who are not used to it.
- Most importantly, wallet and passport! You can’t go anywhere without these, so make sure to have them handy.
What are your go to comfort items for short flights?